Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Why We're Here, Why We Do This.

 I will have to say, It has been an interesting first year in Platinum Sanctum.  There have been high's and lows, but overall the experience has been a positive one.  It seems that we're entering into a Renaissance period in the guild.  Ideas are flowing more readily, and participation is steadily climbing.  Not to say we haven't had our share of problems, but we've endured many storms to get to the place we need to be. 

But you know, it's amazing where you end up finding things that make you take a step back and truly survey what has been going on.  I was on Twitter this morning checking the feed (@PlatinumSanctum if you are wondering) and I saw something posted by @ShaOfHappiness that really stuck out to me: 

Friends, let's remember - if it isn't nice to say, don't say it; or present constructive criticism. ♥ {◕ ◡ ◕} 

It should be noted on why Platinum Sanctum was founded,  in the previous guild I was apart of, two people who were always helpful to me and treated me with respect were unceremoniously kicked out of the guild for "causing drama".   I was upset by this, but I didn't believe the official story being told to me.  I sought out these people and asked for their side of the story.  After doing some digging it appeared that my gut instinct was right, they were removed for asking a question, simple enough, "Why was I removed from the raid team?"  did they get an answer? a constructive criticism?   No, they got booted, and the explanation was "causing drama".  I had to keep things close to the vest, because apparently asking about this incident in public guild chat would earn the curious party a /gkick as well.   

I met with the rogue questioners to find out what their plans were.  The idea's being thrown about were not exactly to my liking.  "I'll just transfer off server"  or "I may just quit playing altogether"  didn't seem right to me.  So I made a suggestion of my own "Why don't you two start your own guild?"  At first, it was met with trepidation, mainly being that my two friends didn't want to have to deal with being a guild master, which can be a hard job, believe me, I'm well aware.  However, I planted my seed, and went on about my way, doing the things that hunters do. 

About a day later, I was asked to speak with them.   They informed me that they thought about what I said, and that they would indeed start up a new guild, with one small caveat.  They said they would only do it if I would be the Guild Master.  I will say that I was greatly honored, but I had to ask why.  And they told me "because you're fair".  I reckon hearing out their story and making my own judgement was enough for them.  I accepted, and from there the story can only be described a roller-coaster.    Lots of ups, Lots of downs, but plenty of excitement and full speed ahead.  

Which brings me to why I am writing this.  I've always believed in fairness, and in finding the best way possible to include everyone.  granted, it can be hard due to how the game is designed, but we do a good job of trying at the very least.  Some of us may lag behind a bit in learning, or gearing or what have you, but we try to give the opportunity for success.  My philosophy is a hand up not a hand out, I will help you help yourself, I don't give free rides but I will go along with you to help you succeed.  And if you don't succeed, you're not any worse off than you were before.  Everyone has to crawl before they walk, and stumbling will happen, but as long as you're willing to dust yourself off, we'll keep pushing with you.

In dealing with that, and having a nice sized guild, you tend to run into many different personality types, and trying to balance those against one another.  I have noticed that in the past there have been instances of people thinking they're helping, but may come off a bit snarky and sometimes perceived as downright rude.  Like I said, perception, but that doesn't make it reality.  Some people react differently to criticism than others.  However, it is my belief it is for the overall benefit of the guild that some constructive criticism be encouraged.  There's no need to bash someone for not performing to your standards, but if you feel they can do better, it's good to lend that hand up, explain to them what you see them doing wrong, whether it be in ability, or even commitment, and even offer suggestions on how they can improve.  I don't think anyone wants to be a liability, or be carried, I would hope that most everyone wants to pull their own weight, so while I think we do a good job of helping each other, as they say, anything can be improved.

However, I should also mention that people need to also be open to said constructive feedback.  Thinking you're the greatest thing since sliced bread but not actually being good at it not only reflects badly on you, it brings down those that depend on you.  Open your mind to the possibilities that, maybe, just maybe, there is room for improvement.  That maybe I should work on my gear more, study up on tanking strategies, look into the best reforging and not winging it.  Realize that the world doesn't revolve around me, and I will only go as far as the people around me can go. Be willing to take 30 wipes on Ultraxion if it means greater success down the road.   Not every gear drop is for me, just because I can use that material on another character, doesn't necessarily mean I have to have it every time.  share and share alike. There's plenty of resources available, and I've never seen anyone having a problem with sharing.  


We've begun raiding as a guild recently, and I'm surprised by how many want to come along on our adventures.  I've set up guidelines so that we have a basis for how things will work, but they will be evolving as time goes on, to perpetuate fairness as best as we can, but also to bring those that want to go the chance to go.  It may mean we'll have to form more raid groups in the future, if it means I have to level and gear all 10 of my characters, so be it.  I want everyone to have the chance, because remember, someone gave you a chance too.  I can say with confidence, I wouldn't be here if two very special friends hadn't given me a chance, and I've ran with it ever since.  We will make our goals, but as I learned a long time ago, sometimes you reach those goals in very different ways. Keep your mind open to the possibilities,  you never know what you'll end up with.

-Wayne 

No comments:

Post a Comment